Saturday, August 13, 2016

Today's Leftovers: Cats, Flowers, and other Stuff

Cassie on the garden gate one evening earlier this week
Just a few minutes ago, I finished a half glass of wine left over from yesterday--Beringer White Zinfandel. We had carried a chilled bottle of the sweet fruity wine to a local event last night and returned home with about half a bottle, most of which I finished off before bedtime except for this little bit of half a glass. I had poured a second glass--very full--started to drink it, and realized, really, I had had too much wine for the evening. I used a funnel to pour the rest back into the bottle. So this half glass I just finished off was really, really the leftovers of yesterday. Tom and I also finished off the neufchatel cheese mixture I had used to make some appetizers for the same event. I slathered the cheese mixture (neufchatel, chopped fresh dill, heavy cream, horseradish) on some crackers and topped it with chopped-up cucumbers. Tom omitted chopping the cucumbers for his neufchatel-cucumber cracker topping.

That's what today has been for me, a left-over kind of day. I wandered around the yard, pulling and chopping weeds; taking the cats out for their daily backyard exercise and entertainment; washing, drying, and folding some clothes; reading the daily headlines online; putzing around on the Internet. Tom was far more ambitious: he canned tomatoes from our garden. Maybe I should be shamed by his energetic activities, but I'm not. Tom likes to can. Maybe tomorrow I will post left-overs from today, which will include photos of Tom's canning. Right now he's in the garage putting a new hoe handle on a hoe that I broke while hoeing weeds a few days ago. 

So today's post is a post of leftovers, photos of the cats I took yesterday and the day before, of flowers I didn't include in my last post. Just a putzing day.....

First leftovers, photos of the cats doing what cats do....

Cassie in an apple tree in our apple orchard (of three apple trees)
Cassie on the greenhouse door, our garden, and rain clouds in the background
Cassie and Persey--Their step up to the roof of the greenhouse is from the empty rabbit hutch
Persey is 14 years old, but since she's lost weight, she's gotten a lot friskier.
Second leftovers are photos of wildflowers that I took in our yard as I am trying to identify them. The Golden crownbeard below--other common names, cowpen daisy, cow pasture-daisy, girasolillo, butter-daisy, hierba de la bruja--came up in our garden last year, and I liked the flowers so well that I scattered seed along one side of the garden as well as in the backyard. My Arizona plant identification book claims that "Native Americans and early settlers used [the] plant to treat skin diseases and boils" and that "Hopi Indians use water of [the] steeped plant for treating spider bites." I like their blowzy look.

Golden Crownbeard, or cowpen daisy (Verbesina encelioides)
Another wild plant that I have decided to cultivate in our yard is the rayless gumweed. The plant isn't really pretty, and it's flowers aren't showy, but I like the odd look of its gummy flowers. Also, Zoe Merriman Kirkpatrick, author of Wildflowers of the Western Plains: A Guide (1992), writes that she learned that Native American Pueblo women use the plant "as a dye source for the wool in their blankets," achieving "lovely hues of yellow, gold, and olive-green." Plants are coming up voluntarily all over our yard. 
Rayless gumweed (Grindelia aphanactis)
And finally, the remains of a day earlier this week...clouds near sunset...

No comments: