Friday, January 25, 2008

The Art of Craft: Hats, Hats, Hats

Years ago, more than I care to admit, my grandmother Margaret Cole Dugat handed me a crochet needle and yarn and taught me to single-stitch a chain. Once I could single-stitch with fairly regular precision, she taught me how to double-stitch in each of those single-stitches--and thus I learned to crochet. I completed my first crocheted afghan when I was in high school, one with red roses and green leaves on white background squares. This afghan was to become part of my art car years and years later, attached to the back seat of the car and plumped around with Virgin of Guadalupe pillows.


Over the years I met many people who denigrated such craft. Some thought crocheting an activity for old women or intellectually inferior women or women with too much time on their hands. Depending upon the circumstances, I kept my craft a secret.
But now I am an old woman--or at least a woman inching past middle age--and I'm going public with my craft. In memory of my grandmother, who died in 2006, I've picked up the crochet hook once again with a vengeance. First, I crocheted scarfs and hats, following no directions but my own inclinations. I bought wool from a local craft shop and learned to felt the crocheted pieces. Then I created what I call "Christmas gnomes," inspired by--but not much like--some handmade felted gnomes sold in a local store. Here are a few of the hats:








1 comment:

Darla said...

The hats and many of your projects will leave a lasting legacy. Still wear and love a red shawl Aunt Margaret crochets along with some pink booties and a blue and white coverlet. Also love wearing and receive many compliments on the neck scarf made with felted sweaters and crochet you sent me several years ago. Looks like I should drive to Arizona to buy one of those beautiful hats!