Monday, December 22, 2008

Great Places to Retire

Both my husband and I have now passed the big 5-0 birthday (ummm.... I'm now a year past 50), and while we're not ready to retire, we certainly talk from time to time about where we might want to be after the kids are out of school (one is a junior in high school; the other is in his junior year in college). U.S. News has compiled lists of places for those retirees, including places that will be easier on the budget. Here's the list of low-tax places to retire:

For a discussion of how those places were chosen, go to Emily Brandon's article, "10 Great Low-Tax Places to Retire."

When we have discussed places to retire, my husband and I certainly have never mentioned any of these cities. Perhaps they merit a look.

For further discussion of other retirement destinations, go to the more in-depth report at U.S. News & World Report: "Best Retirement Bargains."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Henderson is an OKAY retirement community if you have a good income. Plenty of Golf and Good weather. But like any big city there are plenty of problems as well. High crime in certain areas, blistering summer heat, water restrictions, and not the pretties place in the world.

Anita said...

Yes, it's the blistering summer heat that I wouldn't like. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Texas, and I really want to retire somewhere farther north, where the weather is cooler in the summer. I lived in northern Minnesota for a little over two years, and I loved the climate, the beautiful scenery, and the outdoor activities.

Chris said...

Hey. . . Please don't buy any "where to retire" books. When you visit, bring an extra suitcase and I'll send you home with it full of such reading matter!