Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July

Yesterday evening, our daughter attended a Fourth of July party with friends, and Tom and I headed to the local downtown center, within walking distance, to watch the Fourth of July parade. The parade consisted of local folks walking with their kids in strollers or wagons and on bikes. Some strollers were decorated with small flags or banners. Two years ago I drove my art car in the parade, the strangest element in the parade, I'm sure, and while I received an invitation to do so again this year, I declined. The car has been exposed to inclement weather and needs some work before I put her on the road again--or attempt to sell her.

Before the parade was over, Tom and I headed to a local restaurant near the town square and settled on a table outside where we could watch all the folks gathering for the evening's festivities. We could hear the faint strains of martial music from the bandstand while we feasted. In honor of our president, I ordered an arugula salad with feta cheese (very good) and a crisp cold glass of hard cider. When I ordered the fish and chips--a dish we associate with England--Tom commented that the choice seemed appropriate since Georgia was loyalist in the Revolution.

I, however, am a patriotic American, despite what the far-right says about liberals.

Below are views of the parade from our table and of the crowd gathering for the evening's events.

No comments: