Friday, July 19, 2013

Day's End: Photography Surprises

My Canon PowerShot Digital Elph camera likes to reserve photos for a later downloading so that I can be amazed that I actually DID get a decent shot of that red dragonfly that I chased around the yard. The background of dead leaves on tomato plants does not show the dragonfly to advantage, but since this skittish dragonfly tried its best to elude me, I'm glad to have gotten this photo at least.
In this day of frequent upgrades, my camera is old, and it's acting up in its senescence. When I download photos, not all the photos actually download. I discover the remaining ones when I download photos after the next set of shots. Digital cameras have provided people like me, with only self-taught (and little at that) photographic skill and no technical knowledge of cameras, to shoot an occasionally decent photo despite our ignorance. I took a photography class in high school, but that was in the Dark Ages, when we had to mix up noxious chemicals in a dark room before our photos could see the light of day.

In this second download of the day, a photo popped up that I had taken earlier of my patient dragonfly:
He seems as curious about me as I am about him.
I discovered these photos after downloading photos I took this evening of a rabbit. The wild rabbits in this area come out with impunity during the day, but we see them even more frequently during the morning and evening. I carefully approached, foot by foot, one little bunny eating grass in our yard as the afternoon waned. I got within about seven feet of him before he hopped into the leaf-strewn shade of an azalea bush.
Peter Rabbit, a little too close to our garden but eating grass this time instead of the cucumbers
As I walked into the back yard near the mountain mint, I startled two more rabbits, the largest hopping frantically into woods at the edge of our property, the smallest one stopping just short of the trees. And in the mountain mint patch, I found a tired bee. 
Busy day in the garden.

1 comment:

OMN said...

Fabulous shots--I like the swallowtail the best of the most recent shots.