Thursday, October 2, 2008

The VP Debate, Doggone It!

The beauty of watching presidential and vice-presidential debates on PBS is that one doesn't get a lot of pre- and post-debate silliness from campaign spinners. The conversation between Jim Lehrer and his guests is genial and thoughtful, probably somewhat boring to those who like commentators to scream at one another. I missed the pre-vice-presidential debate spin, but according to Think Progress:

On MSNBC Hardball, McCain policy adviser Douglas Holtz-Eakin claimed that Barack Obama and Joe Biden are advocating for an “artificial arugula-style middle class.” When pressed by host Chris Matthews to explain what he meant, Holtz-Eakin said an “arugula middle class” is “a not very real middle class.”

This is a good example of silly spin. What does Holtz-Eakin mean by "artificial arugula-style middle class"? I eat arugula; you know, it's a green. I grow it. Or rather, I would grow it if we would get some rain here in metro Atlanta. I planted seeds about three weeks ago, and those doggone little greens sprouted and then just sort of hunched down waiting for rain that never came. Instead, some nasty bug started nibbling at them, darn it! (Do I sound folksy enough here? I can do folksy, too, Governor Palin.) In what whacked-out universe does eating greens make one artificial and not a real member of the middle class? Enough with the arugula already!

As for the VP debate: Palin did pretty much what I thought she would do, based on her performance at the Republican Convention and her performance in those interviews. She put on her smiling face--smiling, smiling, smiling--and she looked directly into the camera, appealing to all those "hockey moms and Joe-Six-Packs" whom she thinks will be impressed more with her feistiness, her smiles, and her folksy language than with any substantive response she might give in this debate. She didn't fumble like she did in the interviews with Katie Couric because there were no real follow-up questions to her responses. In fact, she openly refused to answer some of the questions:

And I may not answer the questions that either the moderator or you want to hear, but I'm going to talk straight to the American people and let them know my track record also. (from partial transcript of the debate: The New York Times).

Doggone that moderator, asking Sarah Palin questions she doesn't want to answer and trying to keep Sarah Palin from talkin' to the people! And that darn Joe Biden--he actually included details in his answers rather than general accusations and homey assurances. And, oh yeah, I shuddered over Palin's alarming agreement with Dick Cheney's version of a powerful vice-president. (We're learning more and more of Cheney's work behind the scenes influencing the White House and at times making decisions that were kept from the White House.)

Here are some other viewpoints I found interesting:

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm hoping that this imaginary group Palin is speaking to doesn't really exist----isn't really that dumb----and that they will instead see how she is insultingly talking down to them and that they rise up and shake their fists in her face and pull the lever for Obama/Biden. Who in his/her right mind would want more Republican bullshit (not that I think the Democratic ticket is perfect; I do not like talk of more agression in Pakistan).

100Parsecs said...

When you say "smiling, smiling, smiling" you're not kidding. I find her perkiness artificial and extremely aggravating (though I have to admit that I'm aggravated by overly perky people in general).

I found this quote from Roger Ebert on a blog that I often read, Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth, that I thought was dead on, "When she was on familiar ground, she perked up, winked at the audience two or three times, and settled with relief into the folksiness that reminds me strangely of the characters in 'Fargo'....But I felt a brightness that was not always convincing."

I recommend reading Ebert's full post. He goes at the debate from the perspective of a film critic looking solely at the performance of each candidate, a perspective that I think is probably more apropos than a political breakdown, given that all the VP's seemed to do was rehash everything that Obama and McCain said in the last debate.

Anita said...

Thanks for the link. I read Ebert's post. I remember that moment in the debate when Biden grew a little emotional about not knowing if a hurt child was "going to make it." And then --how jarring for the camera to go to Palin's face, where there was absolutely no sympathetic recognition to what Biden had said. Maybe Palin was so engrossed in her notes that she didn't hear him. Maybe she's just cold-hearted, for all her winking and smiling.

Anonymous said...

benton! I laughed out loud reading the "aside" in parentheses after commenting on Palin's artificial perkiness. I, too, am "aggravated by overly perky people in general." Does this, though, explain my affinity to Eyeore???

Anita,
I actually am impressed by Biden. He is intelligent, and I agree with your assessment of Palin's coldness underneath the perkiness. I still wish the media would give equal air time to others running for President than just the Democratic and Republican tickets. I have grown cynical with both parties...