Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dancing with Bollywood

The picture doesn't do the footwork justice, but these boots have been dancing to Hindustani films lately. One of my young co-workers loves Bollywood films, and she has loaned some of her DVDs to me. I had viewed a few films produced in India and liked one or two of them quite well, most notably Monsoon Wedding, but I really don't know much about "Bollywood" films. Now, however, thanks to Hijrah, my co-worker, I know a little more.

I now have a favorite actor, Ajay Devgan (with Aamir Khan running a close second). In the first borrowed film I watched, Deewangee, Devgan plays the villain; in the second, Chori Chori, he plays the brooding male lead in this romantic comedy. I think that I like Devgan and Khan so well because they are, of course, good-looking, and also because they have very expressive faces; they inhabit their characters.

Today I watched Dil Chahta Hai, a story of the friendship of three young men just graduated from college and the women with whom they fall in love. Those boots were dancing to one of the songs on that film, "Koi Kahe, Kehta Rahe." I just can't hear a tune such as this without tapping my feet, and if I am at home, I must jump up and dance around the room, despite the pain in my fifty-one-year-old knees. If I thought knee surgery would enable me to dance like those folks do in the dance scene to "Koi Kahe, Kehta Rahe," I'd make arrangements for the surgery immediately!

Here are links to other music videos from Dil Chahta Hai:

No comments: