Saturday, May 2, 2009

Family History--Schlobohm, Dobbs

With the blogs all agog about Texas Governor Rick Perry's comments about secession and a recent poll that shows 18% of Texans would be in favor of seceding from the United States, it seems to me just the right time to post about my own Texas roots. My blog's title refers to the fact that I am a sixth generation Texan. I'm counting the generations from one side of the family; as I look back at family history, though, I realize that several of my ancestors arrived in Texas about the same time, in the last years before its independence from Mexico or in the early years after Texas had achieved independence. This weekend, descendants from one branch of my family are meeting in Humble, Texas, to celebrate the arrival of their common ancestor to the shores of Texas: Johann (John) Frederick Schlobohm (in various records, sometimes spelled Schlobaum, Schlaboher, Schlabeaum, and even recorded as Slaburn, Sleighburn, Slayton, and Slighton, these last anglicized versions perhaps recorded by an earlier prototype of Texas state representative Betty Brown, who said this month that Asians should change their names to English names in order to make identification records "easier for Americans to deal with").

The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Patriot Ancestors Album, by Herbert C. Banks, part of which can be found online, has an entry on my Texas Patriot ancestor. (I can see the bumper sticker now: Great-great-great Granddaughter of a Texas Patriot!) Legend has it that in 1825 Johann (John) Frederick Schlobohm jumped ship in Galveston, Texas, with a cousin who had deserted the German army. The cousin eventually traveled on to more exotic destinations such as Alaska and China, but Johann evidently thought Texas was exotic enough. The record shows that he fought in the Texas Revolution, and "muster rolls of Zavalla Volunteers at Camp Johnson on Sept. 30, 1836, include John Schlabeaum, Private."

After his first exciting years in Texas, Johann Frederick Schlobohm married Charlotte Caroline Kleibrink on May 2, 1850; his wife was born in Germany in 1824, only one year before Johann (now John) jumped ship in Galveston and left Germany forever. The two bought 82 acres of land along Greens Bayou, where they built their home and expanded their farm to 248 acres in 1873. There they reared eight children:

  • Mary married William Edward Morin;
  • John Frederick married Katherine Kuehnle;
  • Wilhelmina married Adolph Schuller;
  • William Henry married Clara Jane Marshall;
  • Fredericka died at age 13, the first person buried in Schlobohm Cemetery, near Houston, now designated a Texas Historical Cemetery;
  • Margaret Darlye married Francis Marion Dobbs (my great-great grandparents);
  • Louise Jane married James Jefferson Ferrell;
  • Margaret Louise married Jacob Brown Autry.

Thereafter, Johann (John) Schlobohm evidently lived an uneventful life, and died on September 25, 1882. His descendants are now scattered all over Texas and beyond, and the stories of those early ancestors are just as scattered and fragmented. The story picks up for me with Johann Schlobohm's daughter Margaret Darlye, my great-great grandmother. The picture at the top of this post is of her and her husband, Francis Marion Dobbs..

In 1986, I began interviewing my grandmother about her family history, and my grandmother told me that Margaret Darlye died when her oldest child, Rosa Belle (my grandmother's mother) was seven, her son Reuben was five, and her youngest daughter Meva was three. The widower Francis (Frank) Marion Dobbs took a second wife, who died in childbirth when Rosa Belle was twelve years old. Shortly after the death of his second wife, Frank Dobbs left his three children with one of the aunts or a neighbor, saying that he was going to town. He didn't return for three years. All he would say about his absence was that he had gone to Alaska. After Frank Dobbs disappeared, different aunts took responsibility for the children. Aunt Mina (Wilhelmina Schlobohm) Schuller took care of Rosa Belle, my great-grandmother, though for a while Rosa Belle also lived with a neighbor who was a dressmaker and helped her with her work. Aunt Jane (Louisa Jane Schlobohm) Ferrell looked after the two youngest children.

This story of the three-year disappearance of my great-great grandfather Francis Marion Dobbs has always interested me. Just what happened to him during those three years? My grandmother had only faint memories of her grandfather, who died when she was five years old. When she talked of him, she spoke with some disapproval, blaming him, I think, for the hard life her own mother had experienced as a teenager abandoned to relatives. "He had auburn hair," my grandmother told me. "When he died, he was living in Snyder, Texas. A neighbor found him on the front porch, dead, propped up against a hide-bottom chair."

The picture below is of Francis (Frank) Marion Dobbs and his three children: Rosa Belle (in the back), Reuben, and blond-haired Meva.

8 comments:

J E said...

Hi there, my name is Janet Evans. I am a descendant of Margaret Louise Schlobohm. I saw your blog while googling information Clara Jane Marshall. Just doing geneology. My email address is evansandevans@gmail.com if you want to contact me. Thanks a bunch. Your website is awesome!!

Unknown said...

Hello, my husband is also a descendent from Johann Schlobohm. Our family has the honor of being part owners of that Historical Cemetery. My husbands mother was just buried their and we were fortunate to get pictures of the Monument they have placed at the graveyard. It has some great information about how Johann(John) held Santa Ana captive during the Battle of San Jacinto.
....Jennifer Jones

Unknown said...

Hi! I also am a decendant of Johann Schlobohm. Was doing a bit of searching on the internet and I found your blog. I am a great grand daughter of William Henry and Clara Jane. I was glad to see that your blog confirms our family oral history and the information one of our other cousins had found! Would love to get acquainted with any of our other cousins out there! I am on Facebook and my email is kcrev7910@gmail.com Look forward to meeting some new relatives!

Unknown said...

HI! I came across your blog doing a little searching for my ancestors. I am also a decendant of Johann via William Henry. I was happy to see that your comments confirmed our family oral history-and my dad is and grandma was indeed proud of that history!I would love to meet more relatives: you can find me on facebook or my email is kcrev7910@gmail.com

Rebecca Barber said...

I was excited to come across your post about Johann Schlobohm. His daughter Wilhelmena Schlobohm and husband Adolph Schuller sit in a beautifully framed portrait in my parlor. She was my great grandmother. Her daughter, my grandmother was Louis Mary Schuller. It was fascinating to read your info about Johann. I live near Dallas and I would love to visit the Schlobohm cemetary. I have a few pictures of Wilhelmena as an older woman. Did you know that she died from a burning accident in 1934. After quilting,she went to toss some quilt scraps into the fire and her apron caught on fire. She died a few days later from severe burns. However, she lived a long life surrounded by family and grandchildren (my mother).
Thanks for your research,
Rebecca

Anita said...

Great (but sad) story, Rebecca, about your great-grandmother. Thanks for sharing!

Kasey'sKitchen said...

Your grandmother and my grandfather were siblings- Rosa Belle was my grandfather's momma! My dad was named after Rosa Belle's brother, Reuben! Please find me on facebook or email me- kasey927@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I don't know how often anyone reads this..looks like it's been a long time since post were made. Johann is my 3rd great grandfather and i would love to connect with lost family. I have a handful of pictures that are faces with no stories, but the one with "Rosa" written under it is a little clearer now. Having pictures of Wilhelmena and now knowing her accident is sad. If anyone would like to exchange info please contact me at jetferg@yahoo.com

looking forward to finding and meeting family