Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Morning Glory and all that......

This morning I took the photo (at left--click to enlarge) of a morning glory blooming at our front steps. Our daughter had transplanted morning glories from my herb bed to the side of the steps so that she could train them up hemp twine, onto our banisters and up to the canopy above our front door. I look at this photograph and think how the flower has an ethereal glow that lives up to its name. Surely there's a metaphor there waiting to be extracted or at least some reflection on the beauty of the natural world, of taking time to notice that beauty, fleeting as it may be in the concrete and asphalt world of Atlanta. But, no, today I'm not feeling so optimistic and poetic. I've been watching episodes of Life After People on the History Channel, and I'm not feeling so kindly toward invasive plant species. Also, contradictorily, I'm feeling a little misanthropic today, too. I think it's the weather--too much lovely rain--and the neighbors--too little compassion for cats. My garden looks beautiful, though. Perhaps I'll just sit and gaze at this lovely picture of a morning glory and work myself into a better mood.....

1 comment:

Chris said...

Beautiful photo of one of my favorite flowers. Thank you, my friend.