Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Worth of Physical Labor

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center, temperatures and rainfall were much above normal here in Louisiana. Consequently, in February and March, I found myself working against weather to dig and to plant the flower and herb beds that I had planned during the winter. I spent most of March digging, weeding, planting, and embellishing the landscape, as illustrated by the accompanying photo of the bamboo backdrop I created for my Japanese lantern. The previous owner of this property planted a line of bamboo along the property line (more or less) at the back of the three lots that we have purchased, and I cut the bamboo to make this screen, an edging to a flower bed, and stakes for our tomatoes. My labor in the bamboo patch had dual purposes: to create material for my gardens and to remove what bamboo was leaning over and touching the roof of our workshop. The pest control guy told us that termites could travel from the overarching bamboo limbs and damage the wooden walls of the workshop. 

Unless I choose to create another flower or herb bed, the most laborious part of gardening is over for the season. Now I'm in maintenance mode: watering sprouts, protecting sprouts from birds, weeding (which I do a bit at a time every day), gathering the fruit when it's ripe, and enjoying the beauty of blooms. 

I relished the physical labor, for it got me out of the house, away from online commentary and the stupidity of the campaign season. One has less time to brood when one is working hard.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Glad you're enjoying the "fruit of your labors"; seeing the photos allows me to enjoy them, too.