Thursday, August 21, 2008

Arugula Lover

Today I got out my packet of arugula seeds. I've been planting arugula in the spring for several years, and I'm going to try a fall planting in a front flower bed, behind the globe amaranths and a native rudbeckia. I love the stuff. I guess I'm an elitist, too--even though my family's income falls far, far, far short of the $5 million threshold that John McCain claims one has to cross to be labeled "rich." Oh, and I also do my own gardening in my own little suburban yard of my own one little (1300 square feet) 1940s suburban home. Oh, and I have a master's degree in English, and I've been an instructor and assistant professor at several colleges and universities. Also, I read a lot, books with words like "economy," "mergers," "indigenous,"climatic upheaval"," and such. So I must be pointy-headed, too. Although I thought I was an ordinary American, I've recently learned that loving greens and having a graduate degree evidently make me unable to relate to ordinary Americans. Gee, I feel so special. Thanks, Republicans.

Update
Here is Christopher Beam at Slate, defending arugula: "It's Not Easy Being a Leafy Green."

No comments: