Saturday, August 23, 2008

Barack Obama and Joe Biden

James Fallows' examination of the presidential primary debates and of what those debates illustrate about the candidates is worth reading: "Rhetorical Questions," at Atlantic.com. In addition, read his comments on Joe Biden as Obama's running mate: "About Biden as Speaker," on Fallows' blog at The Atlantic.

I signed up with the Obama campaign to receive an e-mail announcing Obama's vice-presidential running mate. Because I checked the Internet before going to bed at 1:30 this morning, I knew that Biden was the choice because the news had been leaked to the press. But I also received the promised e-mail announcing Obama's decision and requesting a note welcoming Joe Biden to the race. I sent my welcome. Although I would have loved to have seen a woman on the ticket, I am happy with Barack Obama's choice. At an early point during the primaries, I took one of those silly on-line quizzes meant to ascertain just which Democratic candidate most closely matched my views. Joe Biden's name was at the top of the list. I read a lot about his background, liked what I had read--and most of what I saw in the debates--but I knew that he would not be a top contender in the end. At first I supported Hillary Clinton, but at the very last moment, right before my finger touched the voting screen, I changed my mind and voted for Barack Obama.

The McCain campaign is already on the attack, including sound bites of Joe Biden's criticisms of Barack Obama. Okay, business as usual. Time for the Democrats to fight back.

No comments: