Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ancient Philosophers, Modern Life

I am reading Alain de Botton's The Consolations of Philosophy, in which the author takes the ideas of well-known philosophers and applies those ideas to modern life. The book is easy to read, probably too easy for those who might want their texts a bit more dense, but good reading for those few moments between tutoring sessions where I work. I bought the book because there is a chapter on Seneca and his philosophy of stoicism. Each chapter contains some biographical information about the philosopher and a clear discussion of some of the elements of that person's ideas. Seneca's chapter is titled "The Consolation of Philosophy"; Socrates's chapter is titled "Consolation for Unpopularity"; Epicurus's chapter is "Consolation for Not Having Enough Money." The next chapter is "Consolation for Inadequacy" and is based on the ideas of Montaigne. The book is meant to be therapeutic, I think, to illustrate how these philosophies can help us become happier or at least deal more adequately with the vicissitudes of life.

After reading this book, I plan to read Seneca's letters and essays; some of his letters I have already read.

A few of Seneca's aphorisms:

  • What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.
  • That which you cannot reform, it is best to endure.
  • All outdoors may be bedlam, provided that there is no disturbance within.
  • Reckon on everything, expect everything.
  • Fortune gives us nothing which we can really own.
  • We are mistaken if we believe any part of the world is exempt and safe....Nature has not created anything in such a way that is immobile.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Our lives are so entwined, Anita, here a continent apart, as you say. I came across a quote of Seneca's recently and scoured my bookshelves hoping to find an old collection to no avail. I'd like to read this book, too. Sounds just like what I want! I prefer the not-too-dense books on philosophy, I think, or at least the ones I've chosen in the past have been a bit too much for me. They demanded more of a background in philosophy than I have.

Anita said...

I purchased a book of Seneca's letters several months ago at Book People in Austin, and read the book, marking my favorite passages. Now I can't find the book! I've looked everywhere--even in Benton's apartment in Austin. Naturally, it will turn up when I've replaced it with another.