Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


The college-aged son is here for the holidays before returning to his university campus for the last two weeks of the fall semester. The high-school daughter is happy to have her older brother home; they've been sitting in the diningroom this morning, drawing. I told my son he should give up aerospace engineering, take a couple of art classes and do art instead. I wasn't really serious, but the art is important, I think. My daughter, who wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and be an English teacher (though she's wanting to teach high-school students instead of college students), evidently spends her spare time in classes doodling in her notebooks. I've got my favorite drawing of hers here on my desk.

My husband is glad for the son to be home because he has someone who can go exercise with him. He is preparing for the Houston marathon in January; this will be the third time he's participated.

Anyway, much to be thankful for today as we prepare a traditional Thanksgiving feast. Most of the vegetables are from Riverview Farms in Ranger, Georgia. We're part of a Community Supported Agriculture group, and what was delivered in our box yesterday determined much of today's meal. I'm thankful that such farms are sprouting up all around and in Atlanta, bringing us locally grown food.

The cats in our house are thankful, too, or they would be if they could express thanks.

No comments: